Always treat a discarded needle as if it is contaminated. If you find one, decide if:
1. I'm not comfortable or willing to pick it up, or I am unequipped to pick it up, but I want Lethbridge to be clean and safe.
- Cover or mark the location of the needle with an object.
- Call the ARCHES Needle Pickup Hotline at 403-332-0722 to provide the location and arrange for pickup and disposal. This number is staffed from 8:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. every day except statutory holidays.
Please be ready to provide:
- The full address
- A description of where the needle is located
- Your name and a call back number
- The number of needles and any other drug paraphernalia
The more detailed your message, the faster responders can find the debris and remove it.
An ARCHES staff member will arrive within the hour to pick up the needle. For priority calls, an ARCHES staff member will pick it up as soon as possible. Priority calls include playgrounds, schools, and daycares.
2. I'm willing and equipped to pick it up because I want Lethbridge to be clean and safe.
- I have gloves, tongs or pliers, and a hard sharps container (ex. a strong plastic bottle such as a bleach container or a plastic jar with a lid).
- Put on latex, rubber or leather gloves. Use tongs or pliers to carefully pick up the needle with the tip pointed away from you.
- Put the sharps container (strong plastic bottle, etc.) on a stable surface (do not hold it while putting the needle inside) and put the needle, tip down, into the container and close the lid.
- DO NOT place the container in the garbage.
- Call the ARCHES Needle Pickup Hotline at 403-332-0722.
- When you're finished, wash your hands and/or use hand sanitizer.
Places you can take needles for disposal:
- ARCHES, 1206-6 Avenue South
- Most local pharmacies
- Supervised Consumption Services site, 1016-1 Avenue South
>> back to Safe Needle Disposal