Always treat a discarded needle as if it is contaminated. If you find one, decide if:
1. I'm not comfortable or willing to pick it up, or I am unequipped to pick it up, but I want Lethbridge to be clean and safe.
- Cover or mark the location of the needle with an object.
- Call the ARCHES Needle Pickup Hotline at 403-332-0722 to provide the location and arrange for pickup and disposal.
2. I'm willing and equipped to pick it up because I want Lethbridge to be clean and safe.
- I have gloves, tongs or pliers, and a hard sharps container (ex. a strong plastic bottle such as a bleach container or a plastic jar with a lid).
- Put on latex, rubber or leather gloves. Use tongs or pliers to carefully pick up the needle with the tip pointed away from you.
- Put the sharps container (strong plastic bottle, etc.) on a stable surface (do not hold it while putting the needle inside) and put the needle, tip down, into the container and close the lid.
- DO NOT place the container in garbage.
- Call the ARCHES Needle Pickup Hotline at 403-332-0722.
- When you're finished, wash your hands and/or use hand sanitizer.
Places you can take needles for disposal:
- ARCHES, 1206-6 Avenue South
- Most local pharmacies
>> back to Safe Needle Disposal