Planned Power Outages
Planned power outages occur to upgrade power lines or conduct maintenance on the system to reduce the chance of unplanned outages in the future.
and follow us on Twitter
for these notices.
What to do if your power goes out without notice
Before contacting the City of Lethbridge at 311 for assistance, find answers to the
- Are your neighbours without power?
- Have you checked your main breaker?
- Are some of the lights/appliances working in your home?
- Do you smell anything unusual?
- Did you hear a loud bang in or outside your home?
- Did you see a flash of light?
- Are there any low hanging wires outside your home?
During a power outage
- Follow local weather reports.
- Keep your fridge and freezer doors closed. This will keep items cold or frozen for several hours during an outage.
- Keep doors and blinds/drapes closed.
- Turn your thermostat to the lowest setting.
- Light wood stove or fireplace before house cools down.
- Do not use camp stoves, barbecues or kerosene fixtures indoors for heating purposes.
- If using a generator, plug appliances directly into generator.
- Drain your water lines if there is a chance of water freezing.
- If there is a chance of freezing pour non-toxic antifreeze into drains and peatraps.
- Do not enter your basement if it floods, an electrical source may have come in contact with an appliance. Call a certified electrician to disconnect your electricity, never touch circuits or breakers while standing or touching a wet surface with your hands.
When your power has been restored
- Turn up your thermostat 15 minutes after power is restored.
- If basement was flooded, have an electrician inspect circuitry.
- If anti-freeze was used, flush all drains.
- Plug in appliances 15 minutes after electricity is restored.
- Turn off standby heating/generators.
- Replenish your emergency kit if used
Power outage safety video
Have an Emergency Kit ready Include these items:
- Fresh water
- Battery operated radio/clock
- Cell phone
- USB battery charger for cell phone
- Candles/waterproof matches
- Extra blankets/coats hats and gloves
- First aid kit
- Non perishable food items
- Disposable tableware and cutlery
- Manual can opener
- Bottled water
- Whistle/signal device
To report streetlights outages, you can submit a service request at 311.lethbridge.ca
or call 311. Please include as much information in regards to the physical location of the streetlight outage or problem.
Adding your contact information is also helpful so that someone can follow up with you with any questions about the location of the streetlight outage.