What to do if your power goes out without notice:
Before contacting the City of Lethbridge at 403-320-3940 for assistance, find answers to the
- Are your neighbours without power?
- Have you checked your main breaker?
- Are some of the lights/appliances working in your home?
- Do you smell anything unusual?
- Did you hear a loud bang in or outside your home?
- Did you see a flash of light?
- Are there any low hanging wires outside your home?
Learn more by watching our short power outage safety video!
During a power outage remember to :
- Keep the City of Lethbridge Electric Department phone number handy (403-320-3940).
- Follow local weather reports.
- Drain your water lines if there is a chance of water freezing.
- If there is a chance of freezing pour non-toxic antifreeze into drains and peatraps.
- Keep doors, blinds/drapes and refrigerators closed.
- Turn your thermostat to the lowest setting.
- Light wood stove or fireplace before house cools down.
- Do not use camp stoves, barbecues or kerosene fixtures indoors for heating purposes.
- If using a generator plug appliances directly into generator.
- Do not enter your basement if it floods, an electrical source may have come in contact with an appliance. Call a certified electrician to disconnect your electricity, never touch circuits or breakers while standing or touching a wet surface with your hands.
When your power has been restored:
- Turn up your thermostat 15 minutes after power is restored.
- If basement was flooded have electrician inspect circuitry.
- If anti-freeze was used flush all drains.
- Plug in appliances 15 minutes after electricity is restored.
- Turn off standby heating/generators.
- Replenish your emergency kit if used.
How to prepare for an unplanned power outage:
Here are items you will want to include in an emergency kit:
- Fresh water
- Battery operated radio/clock
- Cell phone
- Candles/waterproof matches
- Extra blankets/coats hats and gloves
- First aid kit
- Non perishable food items
- Disposable tableware and cutlery
- Manual can opener
- Bottled water
- Whistle/signal device
To report streetlights outages, please call 403-320-3850 or email email@example.com
Please include as much information in regards to the physical location of the streetlight outage or problem.
Adding your contact information is also helpful so that someone can follow up with you with any questions about the location of the streetlight outage.