Blowing and drifting snow can cause problems for drivers, pedestrians and City of Lethbridge crews. It can blind drivers, cause accidents and make clearing roads more difficult - at times impossible. For this reason the City of Lethbridge installs snow fences in areas where blowing and drifting snow can cause problems.
Click here to view our Snow and Ice FAQs.
Interesting Snow Fence Facts:
- The City of Lethbridge installs approximately 17 km of snow fencing before each winter season.
- 85% of our snow fences are installed to reduce drifting and blowing snow caused by west winds.
- Most of our snow fences are 1.4-metre-high wood fences.
- It takes City crews three months to install and two months to remove all the snow fences used.
- Placing snow fences too close to the road can increase the amount of snow on the road; the distance between fences and the road should be at least 35 times the height of the fence.
- Although fences should be perpendicular to the prevailing wind direction (west for Lethbridge), the angle can vary by as much as 25 degrees without affecting performance.