Keeping Lethbridge on the move in winter
Each winter, City of Lethbridge Transportation Operations staff provide winter snow and ice control services to keep motorists safely on the move.
Hours of Operation
- Shifts are scheduled for maximum maintenance coverage throughout the winter months
- Dedicated staff are on a winter storm watch shifts providing 24-hour coverage, 7 days per week
These services are provided according to a City Council-approved
Snow and Ice Control Policy
priority system. Snow and Ice Control priorities are determined based on the following criteria:
- Traffic speed
- Traffic/pedestrian volumes
These priorities are reviewed and updated annually. Click on the links below to see the various road maps for:
You can help us keep winter roads in your neighbourhood safer by piling snow from your driveway or sidewalk onto your property, not on the road.
Snow and Ice Control
Ice Control is conducted as necessary to improve traction and is based on pavement temperature and atmospheric conditions. We have pre-treating capability to our sanding trucks so that the sand and salt we apply to the roadways will be more effective under varying weather and road conditions.
Our City snow and ice control fleet consists of the following:
- 6 Tandems with Sanders and Front Snow Plows
- 3 Tandems with Sanders, Front Snow Plows & Side Wing Plows
- 2 Tandems with Sanders, Anti-icing Capabilities & Front Snow Plows
- 1 Tandem with Sander, Anti-icing Tank, Under-Body & Front Snow Plows
- 1 Three-ton Single Axle Truck with Sander,
- 2 Graders
- 2 Front End Loaders
- 1 Front End Loader with Plow
- 1 Two-ton Single Axle Truck with Front-End Plow & Sander
- 2 Snow Blowers
Sidewalk & Pathway Maintenance (Controlled by
- 7 - 4 wheel drive mowers with broom, blade and snow blower attachments.
- 1 tractor with snow blade.
- 6 trucksters with snow blades and sanding capabilities.
- 3 skid steer loaders with snow buckets, brooms, blades and snow blower attachments.
- 10 back pack snow blowers.
- Various 3 ton, 1 ton, crew cab, and ½ ton trucks c/w trailers as required
*Note: Trucks to haul snow are contracted and used as/when necessary. In addition, various pieces of heavy equipment with operators are available on a contractual basis. A tender is prepared yearly by the Public Operations Account Support Technician of available contractors with various equipment.