There are many simple ways to help conserve water, and reduce your water utility bill as well! A little can go a long way!
1. Obtain an estimate of how much water you currently use in your home or business.
2. Check for areas outside your home or business where you could consider using less water.
- When washing dishes by hand, do not let the water run. Fill one basin with wash water, and the other basin with rinse water
- Use the dishwasher. Dishwashers typically use less water and energy today than washing by hand
- Match the amount of water you are using to the size of your laundry load (i.e. if the washing machine is a 1/4 full, use the appropriate setting)
- Cold water washing saves energy and water, and it also helps to keep your colours bright
- When purchasing a new washer, look for machines that are energy and water saving
- Consider buying a low-flow shower head from local retail stores. Low flow shower heads use almost half the water of a standard shower head
- Take shorter showers, or turn the water off when washing your hair
- Turn the water off when you are lathering up your hands with soap
- Consider installing low-flush toilets in your bathrooms
- An alternative to installing a low flush toilet is displacing the water by placing a 2 L plastic milk jug filled water in the toilet tank
- Test your toilet for leaks (at least once per year) Tip: if you put food coloring in your toilet tank and it enters the bowl without flushing, you have a leak
- If taking a bath, plug the drain before turning on the water, adjust the temperature of the water while the tub is filling up OR collect the running water while you wait for the hot water to start; use it for your plants or garden
- While brushing your teeth, remember to turn the water off when not in use
- Ensure faucets are turned off tightly. If you have a leak and they are tight, consider having it fixed
- Monitor your water bill, if you notice it is unusually high, you could potentially have leaks. You can use eUtility
<<Back to Water Conservation Page
For more information
Submit a service request
Phone: 311 or 403-320-3111 (if outside of Lethbridge)
Address: City Hall, 910 4 Avenue South, Lethbridge, Alberta, T1J 0P6