- Plant species native to Southern Alberta. Click here!
Plant in spring and fall when the watering requirements are lower
Leave lower branches on trees and shrubs - this will allow leaf litter to accumulate, keeping the soil cooler and reduce evaporation
Start a compost pile, this increases the water holding capacity of your soil
- A xeriscaped garden will help be water efficient. Click here!
- Consider taking courses on landscaping or xeriscaping workshops
- Use porous material for walkways and patios, this will help keep water in your yard
- Pruning properly can help to use water more efficiently
Use a pool cover to keep your pool clean, reduce chemical use and prevent water loss via evaporation
Ensure you have recirculating pumps
For automatic refilling devices, check periodically for leaks
Keep water in the pool when playing
Join a community pool
- Use a commercial car wash. The water from car washes is treated by the Wastewater Treatment Plant
- If you wash your pet outside, pick a spot on the lawn, in an area that needs to be watered
- Use a broom instead of a hose to clean your sidewalks, driveways, patios, or decks
- When you give your pet fresh water, use the old water to water your plants or grass
Check your home and yard for leaks , which could possibly save you money!
Water conservation and program information
Water Use It Wisely