In Lethbridge, stormwater goes into storm drains and back into the Oldman River untreated. It can wash pollutants from our streets and yards into the river. Polluted stormwater can harm fish and wildlife and degrade your water quality.
The river starts here tells a story about how our yard habits can negatively impact our stormwater and Oldman River.
We have programs in Lethbridge that can help create awareness and keep our freshwater safe and clean and it enters the Oldman River from our yards and neighbourhoods.
Actions we can all take:
- Reduce the need for fertilizer, pesticides and water by xeriscaping.
- Pick up after your pet and place in the garbage bin.
- Sweep off driveways and put the waste in the garbage bin.
- Do not pour waste of any kind down the stormdrains (ie. oil, gas, paint, dirt, gravel, garbage, etc).
- Compost yard waste.
- Check your vehicle for leaks and recycle used motor oil. Do not pour oil down the stormdrains!
- Direct downspouts away from paved surfaces.
- Get involved in one of our programs.
Adopt A StormDrain in your neighbourhood and keep our Oldman River and neighbourhoods free of debris, healthy and clean. Find out how you can get involved in the Adopt A StormDrain program.
Yellow Fish Road
is a storm drain painting program for youth to help raise awareness about storm drain pollution. By painting yellow fish next to storm drains and delivering fish-shaped information brochures everyone in the community is reminded that storm water returns to the Oldman River, untreated. Find out how you can get involved in Yellow Fish Road!
Prairie Urban Gardens. Xeriscaping is the practice of converting conventional turf yards into beautiful, practical and environmentally sustainable areas. By following at least some of the seven principles of xeriscaping, yards and gardens can use less water, and use no fertilizer or pesticides. Less on our yards, means less in our water!
What do I need to clean out my gutters and stormdrains?
Some items to get you started may include:
- garbage bag (s)
- small shovel/tool for picking up items
Remember, always be safe when cleaning out your gutters and stormdrains! There can be unsafe items. Always have an adult help and keep your eyes open for unsafe items. If unsafe items are found, contact the City of Lethbridge via the information below.
Helen Schuler Nature Centre