Sign In

Common FAQs

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ Are you looking for other water, wastewater and storm water information?  You've come to the right place! Here are some common FAQs. If you cannot find what you are looking for, please click on the link at the bottom of the page.



Accordion Answer

​Our water distribution system is designed and operated to deliver a minimum acceptable pressure delivered to each Lethbridge service connection of no less than 300 kilopascals (45 psi) during peak hour demand, and 350 kilopascals (50 psi) at maximum day demand.  The maximum pressure should not exceed 625 kilopascals (90 psi).

If there is a water main flush in your area, the water pressure will seem low, but will return to normal once the water main flushing is complete.

If there is another reason, contact 311 (403-320-3111) and they will assist you in finding out the cause.


​​Lethbridge drinking water consistently exceeds regulated requirements established by Health Canada in the "Guidelines for Canadian Drinking Water Quality", and the specific requirements within our Approval from the Province of Alberta under the Environmental Protection and Enhancement Act.


​​The hardness of Lethbridge water varies and is highest in the winter.  It typically ranges from 140 milligrams per litre (about 8 grains per US gallon) to 210 milligrams per litre (about 12 grains per US gallon).


​​The smell can be due to changing temperatures or services in your area. In this case, it is safe. If there is no information being released about water interruptions in your area or required water conservation, please call 311 (403-320-3111).


No. The water is constantly flowing and there may be fast flowing waters or debris in the water. It is also best to stay off the Oldman River in winter due to instability of the ice.


No. The constantly changing weather patterns in Lethbridge create a dangerous environment around the river. The ice may never be completely frozen through. Please use the pathways on Whoop Up Drive and Bridge Drive.


​Please see the "Water" webpage for further details.


This occurs most often during the winter months. Water can entrap tiny air bubbles, particularly if the water is extremely cold, or if it passes through a tiny screen, like those found in some faucets. As oxygen is a gas, it dissipates with time and the water clears up.


Yes. It is added as a dental health measure to prevent tooth decay. Its application is authorized under City Bylaw 3236 and has been added to the water in Lethbridge since 1974. The dosage of fluoride added to the water is 0.5mg/L to 0.7mg/L. The resulting concentration of fluoride in the treated water is 0.7mg/L to 0.9mg/L. The use of this chemical is not necessary to produce potable water.


The water inside building’s plumbing that may have been just sitting there for an extended period of time, with little or no use, could have become stagnant. Prolonged building water stagnation can lead to low chlorine levels, colour, or taste and odour issues inside your building. It could also result in elevated lead, copper, and Legionella levels at the tap. If your building has been empty for more than two or three weeks, the plumbing should be flushed to each fixture to provide them with fresh water from the water distribution system.

Visit: Re-Opening your Business After an Extended Shut Down


Accordion Answer

​Water goes down our toilets and drains, and is carried by our sewer systems to the Lethbridge Wastewater Treatment Plant. Check out our Wastewater Treatment Plant Process.


​Check out our wastewater treatment process or what not to flush webpages to find out more!


​The water enters the Oldman River and eventually merges with the South Saskatchewan and emptying into Hudson Bay.


​​Do not flush any of the following items:

  • houseplant leaves and clippings
  • silt or mud
  • rags
  • human or animal hair
  • tea bags
  • coffee grounds
  • cooking grease or animal grease
  • cigarettes, cigars, butts
  • kitty litter
  • solvents, paint
  • sanitary napkins
  • tampon applicators (plastic or cardboard)
  • disposable diapers
  • boxes, packaging, wrappers

The items above do not biodegrade during time spent in the wastewater collection and treatment systems. They cause blockages in sanitary sewer service connections, mains and pumping stations, causing backups into homes, and unnecessary discharges to the environment. They foul valves and pumps, resulting in thousands of dollars in maintenance and repair costs each year.

The same answer goes to homes which use on-site disposal (septic tanks and disposal fields). These items do not quickly biodegrade and therefore take up space and may interfere with the normal operation in the tank. They may also interfere with tank maintenance, and may detrimentally affect the municipal system when/if the sludge is finally disposed of.

The general rule is:
If you did not eat it first, you should find another way to dispose of it.

For more information, check out the​ "Don't Rush, Think Before You Flush" webpage.



Accordion Answer

​Storm sewer systems are not connected to the Wastewater Treatment Plant, and therefore goes directly to the Oldman River, untreated. Sanitary sewer systems are treated at the Wastewater Treatment Plant, and include the drains within your households, such as shower drains and sink drains.


​The City recommends (Bylaw 5594) using a commercial car wash to clean your vehicle. Commercial car washes discharge to the City’s Wastewater Treatment facility where the wastewater is cleaned and treated. If you do wash your car in the driveway or street, you cannot use soap.
Even biodegradable soaps will harm living things in the river. Use
water only and ensure that dirt or oil from your car does not get
washed down the storm drain.


​​No. According to Bylaw 5594, no items other than rainwater can enter the stormwater system, as they pollute the Oldman River.

Rule of thumb: If it is not "RAINWATER" it should not be entering the stormwater system.


The Bylaw now obligates you to report and mitigate any discharge of prohibited materials whether accidental or intentional.
If the release creates an immediate danger to public health and safety, call 9-1-1 for the Fire Department HAZMAT Team to respond. For other violations and incidents, please report them to Lethbridge 311.


Bylaw 5594, A Bylaw of the City of Lethbridge to regulate storm sewers and storm drainage in the City of Lethbridge.


Accordion Answer
Do we have any programs to help conserve water in Lethbridge?

Yes! We have the Yellow Fish Road Program, Gutter Buddy Program, and Adopt A StormDrain. Check out our Education page!

What is Water Rationing and when is it required?

​Water rationing is limiting water use due to concerns regarding our water supply. Water Rationing will only be required if we experience issues with our water supply or water treatment. We have a website on water rationing, and a full Water Rationing Action Plan with further details.

Are there any videos about our Water Treatment Plant and Wastewater Treatment Plant?

​Yes! We have a Water Treatment Plant online tour, as well as a Wastewater Treatment Plant online tour. Take a look and see how our water is treated in Lethbridge!

How can I conserve water in my house and yard?

​There are many ways you can save water, as well as save money, within your house and yard. Check out the Indoor Water Conservation and Outdoor Water Conservation pages to find out more.


Accordion Answer
What is a watershed?

Wherever you live, you live in a watershed.  A watershed is the area of land that carries water from the land after rain falls and snow melts through the soil, groundwaters, creeks and streams making its way into larger rivers and eventually the ocean.  Because water flows downhill, the watershed boundaries are most always located on the top of hills or mountains. (Oldman Watershed Council).

What watershed do we live in here in Lethbridge?

We live in the Oldman Watershed. Click here for more information.


​Looking for construction specifications or current projects related to water and wastewater?

For more information

Phone: 311 or 403-320-3111 (if outside of Lethbridge)
Online: Submit a service request