Who cares about toilets?
World Toilet Day is a day created by the United Nations General Assembly to recognize that billions of people around the world do not have access to toilets (UN Water).
It is a day about celebrating toilets for everything they do for us - from taking away our waste to being health protectors.
UN Water shares
nine reasons to be thankful for one:
- Taking away our pee and poo.
- Keeping human waste out of our water and food chains.
- Maintaining our dignity.
- Protecting us from killer diseases like cholera...
- ... and helping reduce malnutrition...
- ...which helps keep children in school...
- ...and when there are toilets at school, girls don't have to stay home while they are menstruating...
- ...and the same goes for having decent toilets at work and in all other places.
- And finally, we can thank toilets for creating lots of jobs. Sanitation systems need people to run them, 24/7, 365, forever.
What can I do to help?
Billions of people still don’t have a safe toilet. If you’re lucky enough have one, say thanks and give it some love!
Show us how much you care about toilets by joining the #WorldToiletDay conversation on social media. You can
check out ongoing discussions here.
For more information
Submit a service request
Phone: 311 or 403-320-3111 (if outside of Lethbridge)
Address: City Hall, 910 4 Avenue South, Lethbridge, Alberta, T1J 0P6