About the Project
Construction of a new Fire Station (#5) in the south end of west Lethbridge in the community of Watermark. The new facility will be approximately 1200 m2 in size and will include three drive-through apparatus bays and sufficient space for living quarters, administrative and support services, and training.
The current #2 station located on Whoop Up Drive was completed in 1980. At the time of opening, the population in west Lethbridge was approximately 4,000; today the population is nearing 40,000. The Fire Master Plan identifies that an additional fire station is required to service west Lethbridge. This station would provide an additional fire truck and ambulance to west Lethbridge.
Pressures impacting the emergency response in west Lethbridge include:
- Increasing demand for emergency medical and fire service in west Lethbridge.
- Challenges in meeting the desired response times at the extreme north and south borders of west Lethbridge are compounded by growth because the resources deployed from #2 Station are isolated from the normal overlap in response time as seen in the rest of the city.
- Continued population growth, residential and commercial development, and the expanding footprint of the city.
- Escalating vehicle traffic, limited arterial connectors and curvilinear/cul-de-sac street patterns.
- Geographic isolation to other emergency response resources.
- Development of facilities with high life hazards and vulnerable populations (senior facilities).
- Protecting the urban wildland interface.
The addition of a second fire station located in the south end of west Lethbridge will improve response times for the west side of the city. Further, the location of additional firefighting resources will dramatically improve the time it takes to assemble enough resources, both firefighters and equipment, to deal with residential or wildland fires.
A contractor was selected for construction.
|Grant - Municipal Sustainability (MSI)||$9.27M||Construction, Equipment & Furnishings|
|PAYG - Community||$1.03M||Consulting Services|
Abby Slovack, Real Estate & Land Development
Land Development Manager (Great Bear Boulevard)
Jace Adams, Facility Services
Project Manager (Facility Design and Construction)