- Painting or decorating, window replacement (same size), re-roofing.
- Cabinet installations and floor covering replacement.
- Other repairs or maintenance to a building or structure under $2,500.00 in value. Electrical or mechanical work not included.
- Accessory buildings less than 10 m2 (107 sq. ft.) provided they do not create a hazard.
- Uncovered decks less than 0.6 m (2’0”) in height from the standing platform to grade.
Building and Renovating
Are you about to begin a building or renovation project? Review our building permit process and find out how we can help you with your next building and renovating project.
When is a Permit Required?
How to determine when a permit is required for residential construction projects? Please check the Building Permit Brochure for additional information.
Please visit the Permits & Applications Hub for more detailed guidelines on the application procedure, necessary construction drawings and frequently asked questions on requirements for specific types of projects.
- Construction or additions to a new building.
- Construction of retaining walls greater than 0.90 m (3’ 0”) in height.
- Construction of all covered decks.
- Construction of uncovered decks over 0.6m (approx. 2’0”) in height from the standing platform to grade.
- Hot tubs and swimming pools.
- Demolition of an existing building or structure.
- Repair or alteration of an existing building or structure including damage from a fire, flood, earthquake or other cause.
- Park access for backyard work.
Purpose & Benefits of Obtaining a Permit
Purpose of acquiring proper permits , and the value to members of the construction community and the Homeowner.