Council Highlights September 19, 2023
- Following a Public Hearing, Lethbridge City Council unanimously passed both second and third readings to Bylaw 6411, a Land Use Bylaw amendment to change the land use classification at 416 Stafford Drive North. The subject parcel is currently vacant and is owned by Alberta Social Housing Corporation. The applicant wishes to develop a social housing facility with 30 supportive housing units, as well as a medical clinic and pharmacy. As the standard use definition of “supportive housing” in Land Use Bylaw 6300 allows a maximum of 25 units, the parcel had to be rezoned to a Direct Control district with a custom-use definition which allows 30 units
- Council voted unanimously to accept as information an Encampment Update from Andrew Malcolm, General Manager of Community and Social Development. A full news release is here
- Council voted to approve expenditures up to $1,087,445 in Provincial funding from the Ministry of Seniors, Community and Social Services for the Low-Income Transit Pass expansion program in fiscal year 2023/2024, ending March 31, 2024, to support the City’s existing Transit Fee Assistance Program which provides monthly bus passes to low-income residents at subsidized rates. Administration required Council’s approval through resolution to spend additional dollars that are not identified in the operating budget, as per Section 248 of the Municipal Government Act. The Alberta Government announcement is here
- Following a Public Hearing, Council unanimously passed both second and third readings to Bylaw 6404, a Land Use Bylaw amendment to change the land use classification at 4-569, 2-569, 1-569, 4-565, 2-565, 1-565, 561, 529, 537 & 543 41 Street North. The purpose of the rezoning is to allow parking development for the captioned bareland condominium parcels, while still retaining many of the same uses that are allowed under the existing DC bylaw
- Council voted to amend the Council Calendar to add Economic Standing Policy Committee meetings on October 3 from 9 a.m. to noon, on November 14 from 9 a.m. to noon, on November 16 from 9 a.m. to noon, and to provide notice the November 15 Economic SPC start time will be changed to 9 a.m.