Southern Alberta is the traditional land of the Niitsitapi (Blackfoot) people who called Lethbridge Sikoohkotoki meaning black rock because of the coal they found.
The first European settlement in the area was connected to the whiskey trade and the establishment of Fort Whoop Up and other trading posts. That brought the North-West Mounted Police (NWMP) to the area in 1874.
Before becoming Lethbridge, our City was a small mining town called Coalbanks. As the community grew, it was renamed Lethbridge, incorporated as a town in 1890 and a City in 1906. Charles Alexander Magrath was Lethbridge’s first Mayor in 1891.