Industrial Municipal Tax Incentive
The City of Lethbridge offers an Industrial Municipal Tax Incentive to attract new industry and promote substantial redevelopment and expansion of existing industry in our community. The incentive supports this by cancelling 25% of the municipal tax increases between pre-construction assessments and post-construction assessments.
To apply for the Industrial Municipal Tax Incentive, please submit an Industrial Municipal Tax Incentive Application Form along with any supporting documents to Spencer.Croil@lethbridge.ca.
Once we receive your application and ensure it is complete, we will present it to City Council for approval.
View the organization and project eligibility criteria to qualify for the Industrial Municipal Tax Incentive.
Eligible applicant organizations
To qualify for funding, an applicant organization must meet be:
- A legally incorporated entity
- Involved in manufacturing and processing
- The legal owner of or lease the property and provide a copy of the lease agreement upon application
- Be a property within the jurisdiction of the City of Lethbridge that has an industrial zoning land use as defined in our Land Use Bylaw
Eligible projects must consist of either new building construction or significant renovation or expansion in accordance with the following tax cancellation criteria:
- Five-year tax cancellation criteria – a minimum investment of $50 million in plant, land and/or leasehold improvements and a five-year tax cancellation term
- Three-year tax cancellation criteria – a minimum investment of $20 million in plant, land and/or leasehold improvements and a three-year tax cancellation term
- Two-year tax cancellation criteria – up to an investment of $19,999,999 in plant, land and/or leasehold improvements and a two-year tax cancellation term
Tax reduction process and guidelines
If you are approved for the Industrial Municipal Tax Incentive, your municipal tax cancellation for the eligible property will commence on the first full tax year after the building has been approved for occupancy and will cease at the end of applicable term.
If you fail to meet the incentive obligations after approval, the tax cancellation agreement will be void. Your tax account must remain in good standing to receive the tax cancellation. The tax cancellation will also cease if there is a transfer of ownership for the subject property.
Supplementary assessment and supplementary taxation on new improvements are excluded from this policy and subject to full taxation. The tax cancellation is only applicable to the municipal portion of the tax, not to requisitioning bodies.