Urban Core Property Improvement Grant
The City of Lethbridge’s Urban Core Property Improvement Grant provides a 50% matching incentive up to a maximum of $175,000 per property for improvements in the urban core, including:
- Accessibility and barrier-free improvements
- Façade quality improvements
- Permanent interior and exterior space improvements
- Rehabilitation of key aspects that support the functionality and re-use of buildings
Apply for the Urban Core Property Improvement Grant
Applications for the Urban Core Property Improvement Grant are now closed. Please check back for potential future application intake announcements.
To qualify for the Urban Core Property Improvement Grant, projects must encourage the preservation, revitalization and reinvestment of properties within the urban core. Projects must be located within the downtown, Warehouse District or 13 Street North. Applicants must have an ownership interest in the eligible property and/or business. Properties and businesses must not be in arrears in municipal taxes, municipal utilities or any other municipal charge.
Projects that qualify for this grant are still eligible for other City incentives.
Eligible expenses and maximum funding
View the following chart to find eligible expenses under the Urban Core Property Improvement Grant and the maximum funding for each expense type. The chart also shows the funding amount if the grant is paired with the Targeted Redevelopment Incentive or not. These maximum limits are bound by a 10-year time period. Exceptions may be made if the property has been damaged due to fire, vandalism or natural disasters.
|Type of eligible expense||Funding with area redevelopment plan||Funding without area redevelopment plan|
|Mold and asbestos||$100,000||$100,000|
|Other costs addressing a historically significant, deteriorating, functionally compromised or obsolete aspect of the building||$100,000||$100,000|
|Professional fees and technical studies including architectural, engineering, environmental and geotechnical, traffic impact, etc.||$10,000||$10,000|
|Façade and permanent exterior improvements||$15,000 per 25 foot street frontage||N/A|
|Permanent interior improvements||$30,000||N/A|
|Non-permanent business improvements||$5,000||N/A|
The following types of expenses do not qualify for the Urban Core Property Improvement Grant:
- Administration, financial reporting, fundraising, preparing the application, and similar activities
- Construction equipment and related hardware, tools and machinery
- Construction insurance and permits
- Expenses incurred prior to date of grant application approval
- Non-permanent finishes and equipment (i.e., lighting, cameras, security systems, furniture, etc.)
- Ongoing operation or general maintenance and life cycle costs
- Tenant improvements except those that address eligible issues
View the requirements that approved projects must meet in order to receive funding.
Before we can provide grant funding, the project must receive all necessary approvals including but not limited to:
If any approvals or permits lapse, the application will be cancelled and you will need to submit a new one.
Project start date
Approved projects that do not start construction within 1 year of the approval will have their application approval cancelled. Retroactive funding is not permitted.
We will need to conduct any necessary inspections in alignment with the application approval before issuing funding.