Eligible organizations include private or not-for-profit community organizations or public institutions with demonstrated experience in housing management that are legally registered and in good standing under one of the following:
Affordable and Social Housing Capital Grant
The City of Lethbridge’s Affordable and Social Housing Capital Grant (ASHCG) provides financial support for eligible projects that involve purchasing, constructing, renovating or retrofitting affordable and social housing units in our community.
The ASHCG is part of our Municipal Housing Strategy, which aligns with the federal National Housing Strategy to allocate provincial and federal resources to projects that address housing needs in our community.
Intakes for the Affordable and Social Housing Capital Grant are currently paused pending updates to the program. If you wish to discuss your housing project with the City, please contact the Housing Solutions Coordinator.
Your application must include the following documents:
- Affordable and Social Housing Capital Grant (ASHCG) Application Form
- Project specific budget – view an example of a project budget
- Long-term operating budget – view an example of an operating budget
- Most recent audited financial statement
- List of current board of directors (if applicable)
- Letters of support (if applicable)
- Any additional information (i.e., photos, brochures, posters, etc.)
If you would like an Excel template of the project budget or long-term operating budget, please email the Housing Solutions Coordinator.
Based on the nature of your project, we may require additional supporting documents for your application.
While you may submit an application anytime, we may need to waitlist applications depending on available funding.
We will review and approve applications for funding under $300,000. Applications for funding over $300,000 will be presented to City Council for approval. If your application is approved, you will receive a letter from the City identifying a commitment amount set aside for your proposed project. The City may cover a greater amount of funding if requested, depending on budget availability.
View the types of organizations and projects that are eligible for the Affordable and Social Housing Capital Grant (ASHCG).
Projects that are eligible for the ASHCG include:
- New facility construction
- Facility expansion (increasing number of available affordable or social units as part of an existing facility)
- Retrofitting of existing housing units for conversion to affordable or social units
Applicants must be able to contribute a minimum of 25% of the total project costs associated with the affordable and social component of the proposed project. Approved projects must remain as social and affordable housing for a minimum of 20 years from the date of the last occupancy permit.
Ineligible costs include:
- Artwork, signage and books
- Debt retirement (Includes completed projects)
- Entertainment gaming systems
- Furnishings (excluding appliances)
- Office equipment and supplies
- Tools and small equipment
Retroactive funding is not permitted for previously accrued costs relating to a project.
We distribute grant funding in the following order:
- 30% upon execution of funding agreement
- 30% upon approval of development permit for project
- 40% upon receipt of occupancy permit
Policy statement and responsibilities
View our Affordable Housing Capital Project Grant Policy to find more information on our policy statement, grant agreements and party responsibilities.