Skip to main content Skip to footer


Fire Permits

The City of Lethbridge’s Fire Prevention Bureau issues many different fire permits to applicants looking to acquire a permit for their project or event. Learn about the different permits available, when they are required and how to apply for the permit.

Fire pits and backyard fires

You do not need a permit to operate a backyard fire pit or portable fire receptacle in the City of Lethbridge, however we encourage all residents to be familiar with our Open Burning Bylaw. The bylaw outlines restrictions applied to residential fires, fire pit and fireplace regulations.

We ask that all residents burn in a responsible and considerate manner.

All fires must be:

  • In a fire pit or portable fire receptacle constructed of non-combustible material
  • In a fire pit built into the bare ground or set upon non-combustible material, such as brick or stone (if not in a receptacle)
  • Not be closer than 1.5 m of the property line, building or fence, or beneath any trees or branches (or other combustible materials)
  • Only clean, dry firewood is permitted to be burned in fire pits. Burning prohibited materials can cause dense smoke and offensive odours to neighbouring properties
  • Less than one metre in height at the widest point
  • Not be burned between 1:30 a.m. and 8 a.m.
  • Not be burned when the wind is blowing or gusting at or above 30 km per hour
  • Extinguished with a means of extinguishment that is always on hand. The fire must be extinguished completely, so that the ashes are cold prior to leaving the fire

You cannot burn:

  • Animal carcasses or parts
  • Garbage
  • Leaves, brush or yard waste
  • Lumber products containing glue or resin
  • Rubber, tires or plastic
  • Treated or painted lumber
  • Wet or unseasoned wood

The penalties for improper use of a fire pit include:

  • Burning during a fire ban - $150
  • Burning during prohibited hours - $150
  • Burning prohibited material - $150
  • Burning when winds exceed 30 km per hour - $150
  • Failure to comply with any regulation - $150

  • Before using your fire pit, familiarize yourself with wind conditions and take precautions to prevent smoke from disturbing your neighbours. High wind speeds may pose a fire hazard and low wind speeds may contribute to poor air quality and reduce smoke dissipation.
  • Placing a metal grill or screen on top of the fire pit reduces the flame’s size and helps prevent sparks and embers from escaping and igniting nearby materials.
  • Smoke from fire pits can cause adverse health effects in some people. Be aware of neighbours that may be negatively impacted to exposure of smoke.

To report an illegal fire pit, please call us at 403-327-3333. When we receive a fire pit complaint, we will determine if there is a public safety concern. If so, we will extinguish the fire.

For general inquiries, please email us at or call 403-320-3811.

Open Burn Permit

We issue commercial Open Burn Permits to applicants looking to complete a burn on commercial property as per our Open Burning Bylaw. Complete our form online to apply for an Open Burn Permit.

The fee for an Open Burn Permit is $100 per burn. GST is not applicable. You will be invoiced when the permit is issued.

  1. It is the responsibility of the applicant to be familiar and abide by the requirements of this permit and Open Burning Bylaw and obtain permission from the department.
  2. You must phone 403-329-1225 prior to starting your burn and when the burn is finished.
  3. The permit period is limited to one day (daylight hours only) or a reasonable time period as determined by the Fire Authority’s observations of the burn site.
  4. The permit may be cancelled in the event of a fire ban or at anytime as determined by the Fire Authority.

Burning conditions

Burning must be carried out in compliance with the following conditions:

  • Materials burned must only be burnable debris in accordance with the City of Lethbridge’s Open Burning Bylaw.
  • Wind conditions must be less than 30 km per hour.
  • At least one responsible adult must be in attendance.
  • You must avoid obscuring visibility on adjacent roads.
  • You must make provisions for adequate extinguishment equipment on site.

The permittee agrees to indemnify and save harmless the City of Lethbridge from all liability arising out of the operations authorized by the permit. The permittee agrees to pay the costs of fighting all fires caused by willful neglect or negligent violation of any condition and/or regulation set out in the permit.


  • Burnable debris – Means all flammable debris or material other than prohibited debris and includes clean dry wood.
  • Prohibited debris – Means no person shall use a fire permit to burn manure, livestock or other animal carcasses, material that will result in the production of dense black smoke including insulation from electrical wiring or equipment, asphalt roofing materials, hydrocarbons, plastics, rubber materials, treated or painted lumber, herbicides, pesticides or any other toxic material or substance, lumber products containing glue or resin, wet or unseasoned wood, leaves, brush or yard waste, and garbage.

Fire Safety Plans

You must have a Fire Safety Plan for all construction, renovation and demolition sites within the City. View our Fire Safety Plan Guidelines for more information on emergency procedures, training of sire personnel, personnel responsible to install and maintain fire safety duties, fire fighting services, fire extinguishers, security, flammable and combustible storage, and more.

Pyrotechnic Permit and firework displays

For the safety of our residents, the City prohibits the discharge of fireworks and does not issue permits for the sale or purchase of fireworks. In order to discharge firework displays in the City of Lethbridge, you must be a licensed pyrotechnician, approved by our Fire Prevention Bureau. View our Requirements for Pyrotechnical Shows for more information.

Complete our form online to apply for an Pyrotechnic Permit if you wish to perform a fireworks display or pyrotechnical show. The fee for a Pyrotechnic Permit is $112. GST is not applicable. You will be invoiced when the permit is issued.

Fire Performance Permit

If you wish to have a fire performance as part of your event (i.e., fire spinning), you must complete our form online to apply for an Fire Performance Permit. The fee for a Fire Performance Permit is $100. GST is not applicable. You will be invoiced when the permit is issued.

Transportation of Dangerous Goods Permit

Vehicles that are transporting dangerous goods within the City of Lethbridge require a Transportation of Dangerous Goods Permit. Complete our form online to apply for a Transportation of Dangerous Goods Permit.

All dangerous goods must be transported to their various destinations via the Dangerous Goods Route using the most direct route to and from the destination.

The fee for a Transportation of Dangerous Goods Permit is $100. GST is not applicable. You will be invoiced when the permit is issued.

  1. The original or a copy of this permit must always be carried in the vehicle or vehicles.
  2. The applicant shall keep the City fully indemnified from any loss or damage that may arise from the transportation of the said dangerous goods.
  3. The applicant shall take every precaution necessary to prevent damage to property or injury to person or persons as a result of the transportation of the dangerous goods.
  4. When loading or unloading dangerous goods, no portion of the vehicle shall protrude on or into any pedestrian or vehicular right of way.
  5. Failure to comply with the conditions of this permit may result in prosecution.
  6. A copy of the permit is sent to the Lethbridge Public Safety Communication Centre for their records.

Hot Works Permit

Working with ignition sources near flammable materials is referred to as “hot work.” Welding, soldering and cutting are examples of hot work. Fires are often the result of the “quick five-minute job” in areas not intended for welding or cutting.

Getting a Hot Works Permit before performing hot work is just one of the steps involved in a hot work management program that helps to reduce the risk of starting a fire in areas where there are flammable or combustible materials.

Complete our form online to apply for a Hot Works Permit.

The fee for a Hot Works Permit is $100. GST is not applicable. You will be invoiced when the permit is issued.

As per the National Fire Code (Alberta Edition)’s Division B 5.2 Hot Works section and 2.8 Emergency Planning section:

  • Hot works shall be performed only by personnel trained in the safe use of equipment in conformance with this section.
  • Hot work equipment shall be maintained in good operating condition.
  • Hot work equipment shall be examined for leakage or defects prior to each use.
  • Leaks or defects found in hot work equipment shall be repaired prior to use.
  • All valves shall be closed and gas lines bled when Class 2 gas hot work equipment is not in use.
  • Electric hot work equipment shall be de-energized when not in use.
  • The design and installation of oxygen-fuel gas equipment shall conform to NFPA 51, “Design and Installation of Oxygen-Fuel Gas Systems for Welding, Cutting and Allied Processes.”
  • Unalloyed copper piping shall not be used for acetylene gas.
  • Oil or grease shall not be used with equipment for oxygen.
  • Cylinders of Class 2 gases shall conform to Part 3.

Except for the following, hot work shall be carried out in an area free of combustible and flammable contents. When it is not practical to undertake hot work in these areas:

  1. Combustible and flammable materials within a 15 m distance from the hot work shall be protected against ignition.
  2. A fire watch shall be provided during the hot work and for a period no less than 60 minutes after its completion.
  3. A final inspection of the hot work area shall be conducted four hours after completion of work.

Any combustible and flammable material, dust or residue shall be:

  1. Removed from the area where hot work is carried out, or
  2. Protected against ignition by the use of non-combustible materials.

Combustible materials or building surfaces that cannot be removed or protected against ignition as required shall be thoroughly vetted where hot work is carried out. The exposed areas shall be examined for ignition of combustible materials by personnel equipped with and trained in the use of fire extinguishing equipment. At least one portable fire extinguisher shall be provided in the hot work area.

A Fire Safety Plan shall be prepared in cooperation with the Fire Department and other applicable regulatory authorities. It shall include:

  • The emergency procedures to be used in case of fire, including sounding the fire alarm, notifying the Fire Department, instructing occupants on procedures to be followed when the fire alarm sounds, evacuating occupants including special provisions for persons requiring assistance and confining, controlling and extinguishing the fire
  • The training of supervisory staff and other occupants in their responsibilities for fire safety

Alberta Gaming, Liquor and Cannabis (ALGC) events, special events and occupant loads

If you are looking to get a signature from the Fire Prevention Bureau for ALGC events, special events and occupant loads, please contact us by email at or by phone at 403-320-3811 between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday.

Special event requirements

If you are organizing a special event, please view our Outdoor Special Event Requirements or our Indoor Special Event Requirements.

Tank Permit

You must get a Tank Permit if you are looking to remove or install an above-ground or an underground petroleum tank. No work may begin on the installation or removal of a tank prior to the permit being issued.

Replacing underground piping systems

If you are replacing underground piping systems at your facility with your tank installation or removal, you must also apply for an Underground Piping Replacement Permit. Complete our form online to apply for an Underground Piping Replacement Permit.

Underground storage tank system removal

If a tank is being decommissioned, please complete our Underground Storage Tank System Removal/Decommissioning Report Form and submit it to

Tank Registry Certificates

We allow for the transition of a storage tank’s annual operating certificate from the Petroleum Tank Management Association of Alberta (PTMAA) to our municipality. The certificate is required for all storage tanks with rated capacities of 2,500 L or larger.

Certificate updates and renewal

As of August 31, 2023, annual operating certificates will need to be renewed for the 2023-2024 year. A renewal letter and invoice will be sent to each business owner at the beginning of August for renewal.

The annual fee of $75 per tank will be charged for the certificate. This is in accordance with the fee set out by the Alberta Safety Codes Authority (ASCA), a division of the Safety Codes Council. The annual fee also includes a $6 levy per tank set by the Safety Codes Council. The annual operating certificates will be valid from September 1 to August 31 of the following year. Certificates will not be prorated from the date received.

It is the responsibility of the business owner to notify us of any changes to the Tank Registry information. Complete our Tank Registry Certificate Application form to update your tank information.

Demolition Permit

Our Fire Prevention Bureau offers signatures for Demolition Permits. For a signature, please contact us by email at or by phone at 403-320-3811 between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday.

Please note, to receive the Fire Prevention signature on your Demolition Permit, you must first receive signatures from ATCO Gas and the Electric department. Please bring your Fire Safety Plan with you when receiving the Fire Prevention signature.


If you have any questions about City fire permits, please contact us by email at or by phone at 403-320-3811.

This website uses cookies to enhance usability and provide you with a more personal experience. By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies as explained in our Privacy Policy.