Skip to main content Skip to footer


Demolition Permits

The City of Lethbridge and other utility providers must approve the demolition of any residential or commercial structure. Review the information on this page to make sure your project follows best practices.


Learn what you need to do before applying for a permit and starting demolition.

You need to get development approval to demolish any structure that:

  • Is in a Downtown Commercial district (C-D)
  • Is in a Low Density Residential district (L-R)
  • Has a historic designation

If you don't know the zoning district of your structure, use the Property Information Map to find it.

All demolition permit requests must be approved and signed by:

  • ATCO Gas
  • Electric Operations - City of Lethbridge
  • Public Operations, Water Meter Shop - City of Lethbridge
  • Planning & Design (Development) - City of Lethbridge
  • Planning & Design (Building Inspections) - City of Lethbridge

It's the responsibility of the property owner and contractor to know if asbestos is present before starting demolition.

Asbestos must be removed by a qualified abatement specialist, and documentation must be provided to show completion of abatement.

How to apply for demolition permits

Fill out the Demolition Permit Application with signatures included.

Email your completed application to Incomplete applications can't be processed.

If you don't have access to a computer or internet, bring your completed form to the Planning & Design counter on the first floor of City Hall.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Send us an email at or call 403-320-3920.

This website uses cookies to enhance usability and provide you with a more personal experience. By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies as explained in our Privacy Policy.