- Basement Development Brochure [broken link on current website]
- Window Egress Bulletin
- Basement developments always require a building permit. A development permit is required if the development is a secondary suite. Please visit the Secondary Suite page for additional information.
- For further information please contact Development Services by telephone at 403-320-3920 or by email at email@example.com
Required Permits and Inspections
- Building Permit: requires one Final Inspection once the developed area is ready to be occupied.
- Electrical Permit: may be issued to the homeowner or licensed contractor. A Rough-in and Final Inspection are required.
- Plumbing Permit: may be issued to the homeowner or licensed contractor. A Rough-in and Final inspection are required.
- Gas Permit: will only be issued to a licensed contractor. A Rough-in and Final inspection are required.
- Framing, insulation & vapor barrier, wiring, plumbing, and ventilation requirements are to be completed in accordance with applicable codes.
- Egress windows in bedrooms must meet minimum safety requirements.
- Smoke detectors must be installed on all storeys including basement, in all sleeping rooms and in a location between the sleeping rooms and the remainder of the storey, and if the sleeping rooms are served by a hallway, the smoke alarm shall be in the hallway. (See diagram)
- Mechanical room is to have a minimum 810mm (32") door.
- Handrails are to be installed at stairwell.
- Completed an application at eApply
- Please upload a floor plan drawn to reasonable scale indicating:
o Approximate square footage of area to be developed
o Room labels
o Size and type of egress windows in bedrooms
o Location of smoke detectors