Skip to main content Skip to footer


Electrical Permits

Residential electrical projects will require permits & inspections, with the exception of maintenance or the replacement of existing fixtures.


Required Inspections

  • A Rough-In and Final Inspection are provided for the permit. Additional inspections may be purchased by the applicant if required.


  • Homeowner Permits
    • Homeowners cannot perform the installation of the main electrical service or solar panels unless they are a certified journeyman electrician. 
      • A licensed professional electrical contractor must obtain a permit for this work (ie. if a homeowner pulls a permit to complete the base electrical work in their home, an electrical contractor is required to pull a second permit to install the electrical service).
  • 200 AMP Service
    • Requests for Electrical Services greater than 100 amps in residential areas must be reviewed by the City of Lethbridge Electrical Design department to ensure that the required infrastructure is in place to support the upgraded Service. 
    • Depending on the area, it may be necessary for the customer to pay a flat upgrade fee of $600 to provide the upgraded Service to their location in addition to the Electrical permit fee. Not all residential locations require these upgrades.
  • Soffit Lighting
    • Systems are often marketed as safe to install by a homeowner or for a handyperson, however there are a few regulations that need to be followed:
      1. An electrical permit is required.
      2. The installation needs to be done by an electrical contractor with a City of Lethbridge business license.
      3. If already installed, an approved/passed electrical inspection report is required.

This website uses cookies to enhance usability and provide you with a more personal experience. By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies as explained in our Privacy Policy.