Multi Family (Duplex) Dwellings
The Multi Family application allows for either side/side or up/down construction of a new duplex where not more than one dwelling is contained above another.
- The first step of any project is obtaining Development approval. Approval is obtained when a Development Officer reviews the submitted site plan and building drawings and determines that they meet the minimum requirements outlined in Land Use Bylaw 6300.
- Development officers review each application by first determining which zoning district the parcel is located in. Each residential parcel in the City of Lethbridge has a specific zoning district assigned to it. Within each zoning district is a set of requirements outlining both permitted and discretionary uses of the parcel, minimum parcel sizes, setbacks from parcel lines for principal and accessory buildings, heights of buildings, etc.
- To determine the zoning district of your parcel, visit the Property Information Map, click the 'Property Search' button and enter your address. Once you have determined your zoning district, locate the corresponding district rules in Land Use Bylaw 6300 to determine the minimum requirements for your parcel.
- For further information please contact Planning and Design by telephone at 403-320-3920 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Required Permits and Inspections
- New Home Warranty/Exemption Number: every new home constructed in Alberta must be entered into the New Home Buyer Protection Public Registry with Alberta Municipal affairs, and will receive either a New Home Warranty number or Exemption number.
- Lot Grading Permit: final grading of site must be verified after construction is completed by a Registered Professional - such as a Land Surveyor.
- Building Permit: requires a Footing & Foundation, Framing, Insulation & Vapor Barrier, and Final inspection.
- Electrical Permit: may be issued to the Homeowner or licensed contractor, however, the Electrical Service must be completed by a licensed contractor. An Electrical Service, Rough-in and Final inspection are required.
- Plumbing Permit: may be issued to the Homeowner or licensed contractor. A Rough-in and Final inspection are required. An optional Below-grade and Above-grade inspection are available.
- Gas Permit: will only be issued to a licensed contractor. A Rough-in and Final inspection are required.
- Heating & Ventilation: may be issued to the Homeowner or licensed contractor. A Rough-in and Final inspection are required.
- Footing & foundation, framing, insulation & vapor barrier, wiring, plumbing, gas and ventilation requirements are to be completed in accordance with applicable codes.
- Egress windows for bedrooms must indicate the opening type and meet minimum safety requirements.
- Provide a numbered wall assembly reference from NBC 2019- AE, Division B, Fire and Sound Resistance Tables.
- Lethbridge Fire Response Time requirements are to be addressed.
- Design requirements for Tall Walls are to be addressed.
- Structural members must be specified (floor/roof/deck beams, garage door headers, basement window lintels, etc.)
- Attic access locations and dimensions must be shown.
- Engineered column and pad footing specifications must be provided on foundation plans for point loads in excess of 8000 lbs. unfactored (11600 lbs. factored) loads.
- Unprotected area calculations for glazed openings in exterior walls must be provided.
- ICF block foundations require a copy of the installers certification to be submitted.
- Screw piles or cast in place friction piles are to be designed by a professional engineer.
- Compliance with Flashing requirements of the NBC 2019- AE must be noted or detailed.
- Apply for a permit at eApply
- Completed Permit Application Checklist
- Once online application is complete upload a set of Construction drawings containing:
- Site Plan
- Architectural Control Approvals
- Soil Bearing Evaluation
- Footing & Foundation Plan
- Basement Development Plan
- Floor Plans
- 4 Sided Building Elevations
- Cross Sections
- Structural Details
- Mechanical Information
- Electrical Information
- Truss Manufacturers Corporate Letter
- Truss Manufacturers Floor & Roof Layouts
- Professional Endorsement (when required)