Fences do not require specific Development or Building permits if they follow the requirements as outlined in the City Bylaw.
Fences, provided that they meet the following maximum height requirements, do not require Development approval.
- In all front yards 1.0m (3'3")
- In all side and rear yards 2.0m (6'6")
Corner Parcels (consists of two front yards and two side yards)
- In one front yard 1.0m (3'3")
- In the remaining yards 2.0m (6'6")
- For further information, or to apply for a waiver of these requirements, please contact Development Services by phone at 403-320-3920 or by email at email@example.com
Required Permits & Inspections
- A fence does not require Development approval provided it is a maximum of 1m (3'-3") in height in the front and no more than 2m (6'-6") in height in the side and rear of the property.
- Development Permit: a waiver will be required if the proposed fence is to be built higher than the maximum allowable height as outlined above.
- Building Permit: a fence does not require a building permit unless it encloses a swimming pool or hot tub. (For more information see the Design Considerations in the Section for Hot Tub and Swimming Pool Permits)
- Although the City of Lethbridge does not regulate construction materials or design for fences, your property may be subject to Architectural Requirements by the subdivision Developer.
- Utility Right of Way (also called Registered Utility Easements and/or UR/W), on private property, need to be considered when planning to construct a fence.
- Always request utility locates. Should a Utility Right of Way be present on your property please call 311 (or 403.320.3111 if calling from outside the City) and ask to speak with a Right of Way Coordinator to discuss the requirements.
Permit ApplicationTo apply for a waiver of the maximum height requirements, please provide the following:
- A completed Development Permit Application Form
- A Site Plan indicating where the fence will be over height and the proposed maximum height.