Where can you build?
Development approval is given once a Development Officer reviews your project plan for compliance with the City of Lethbridge's Land Use Bylaw.
While your project may not need gas or electricity, it's still important to know exactly where your utilities are in relation to your new build. This facilitates access to those utilities when completing future projects.
- Visit Click Before You Dig to schedule free utility marking
- Underground utilities may have decks above them as long as the lines themselves aren't put at risk. Contact ATCO Gas to ensure you follow best practices
- Make sure your completed project allows clearance of at least 3.5 metres (11'6") between the walking surface and overhead power lines
- For more information about utilities, contact Lethbridge 311
A setback requirement is the minimum distance allowed between a dwelling or other structures and the property lines.
Decks measuring greater than 0.6 metres (24") in height must meet the minimum setback requirements:
- Front - 6 metres (20'0")
- Sides - 1.2 metres (4'0")
- Back - 5 metres (16'6") for uncovered decks
- Back - 7.6 metres (25'0") for covered decks
Decks measuring 0.6 metres (24") or less in height can project into the minimum setbacks.
Refer to the Setback Requirements Example (linked above) to ensure you allow enough space between your structure and surrounding property lines.