Lethbridge Police Commission
The Lethbridge Police Commission oversees the Lethbridge Police Service. The commission:
- Appoints the Chief of Police and evaluates their performance
- Establishes policies that provide for efficient and effective policing
- Issues instructions, as necessary, to the Chief relating to policy
- Ensures a sufficient level of staff to carry out the functions of the service
- Represents the interests and concerns of the public
View the Lethbridge Police Commission’s Policy and Procedure Manual, which outlines items such as the commission’s:
- Mission statement, vision statement and values
- Roles and responsibilities
- Member conduct
- Annual Plan
The Lethbridge Police Commission meets in-person on the last Wednesday of every month in Council Chambers at 6 p.m., except for the months of July, August and December.
Attend a meeting
Meetings are open to the public. If you would like more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone at 403-380-7306.
Agendas and minutes
View the Lethbridge Police Commission’s agendas and minutes for upcoming and recent meetings.
The commission oversees the citizen complaints process and appoints a public complaints monitor, who is responsible for:
- Receiving complaints from the public
- Providing an independent review of the citizen complaint process
- Auditing police service files involving public complaints to ensure investigations are fair and thorough
- Reporting their findings directly to the commission
Making complaints against the police service
If you would like to contact the public complaints monitor with a complaint against the Lethbridge Police Service, please complete the commission’s online complaint form, email email@example.com or call 403-308-6709.
Under the Alberta Police Act, the responsibility for the investigation of complaints against police service policies and services provided, and those against specific officers, lies with the Chief of Police. The commission does not have the authority to alter the Chief’s decision regarding complaints about a police officer’s actions. Its role is to ensure the process is fair to all parties.
View the Lethbridge Police Commission’s current members.
910 4 Avenue South
Lethbridge, AB T1J 0P6
or 403-320-3111 (if outside of Lethbridge)