Skip to main content Skip to footer

Event Permits

Any event taking place on or in City of Lethbridge roadways or public land (such as parks), that is open to the public, is registered through the Recreation & Culture Department. Examples of special events are rallies, walks/runs, fundraisers, car shows, block parties, road closures, etc.

Block Parties

A permit is issued when a group of residents wish to close off a residential City street, for the purpose of a large community gathering.

  • Block Party Applicants will submit the following:
    • Special Event Permit Application
    • Block Party Road Closure Application
    • Resident Petition
    • Block Party Location Map
  • A Resident Petition must be submitted with application process, with approval rate of 100% of all residents in the immediate area of planned block party, and must include:
    • resident name
    • address
    • approval or disapproval and reason for disapproval
  • Block used is occupied predominantly by owner/residents
  • Block party time limits are 10:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. (Noise Bylaw 5270)
  • Applicant remains at the party until its conclusion
  • Alcoholic beverages are not permitted on the City streets
  • Open fires are not permitted on the City streets
  • Emergency access will be permitted and available at all times during the event. (ie: Fire, ambulance or police vehicle/personnel)

Block Party Conditions Of Use

Event Grants and Support

Are you thinking about planning an event in Lethbridge?  We are here to help.

Outdoor Weddings

Special Event Permits are required to book parkland for wedding ceremonies and photographs.  These permits ensure that we can reschedule mowing and watering of the parkland, or reschedule work crews so your event goes off without a hitch.

Road Closures

Special events requesting a road closure must submit an application. 

Park Access Permit Application

Park access for backyard work must submit an application.

Special Event Checklist

Planning an event? Check our simple event checklist to help make sure you don't miss anything. 

OKI Sign - Outgoing Loan Agreement

Form loading...


You will need a special event permit if:

  • Your event requires use of public land in an organized fashion
  • Your event will experience limited obstacles on public land, including road barricades, regular mowing and watering schedules, etc.

Examples of a special event are: weddings, festivals, parades, fundraisers, races, etc.

  • A liability insurance policy of no less than two million dollars that includes a “Cross Liability Clause” naming the City of Lethbridge as an additional insured
  • Obtain your insurance from an insurance broker of your choosing, or through Instant Risk Coverage or 1-800-517-1390

  • A permit is issued by contacting Recreation & Culture
  • Application form submissions are recommended at least one month prior to the event
  • The application form will start the approval process.  Submitting application does not guarantee that a permit will be issued

  • The application form will be checked for date and location availability
  • More complex applications may require approval from multiple departments and could take 2 – 4 weeks
  • Once approved a copy of the permit will be sent to the applicant. If more details are required; the applicant will be contacted and a meeting will be set up with all parties involved

  • Depending upon the complexity of the event approvals can take a minimum of 1 – 10 business days
  • For major events the planning process can take several months for all parties involved
  • Ensure you allow enough time when submitting your application form

  • A review and approval process will begin
  • Recreation & Culture and other City business units will review the request depending upon the event requests
  • The Facility Programmer will be responsible for booking the event and will be the person through whom all additional requests, approvals, permissions and requirements will be communicated
  • Ensure the Recreation & Culture Department is informed of any changes as the event develops
  • Although initial approval for an event may be given, additional details may be required
    • Program activities
    • Production schedule
    • Site layout
    • Food and merchandise sales
    • Vehicle access/use 
    • Public health and safety services
  • Organizers may also be asked to supply additional documentation
    • Licensing insurance
    • Indemnification
    • Other legal requirements

  • The peak season for outdoor events is typically mid-May until mid-October
  • Space is typically available for programmed activity between 9:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m.
  • Requests for earlier or later times may be considered on a case-by-case basis
  • Only one event is allowed in any given space at the same time
  • Priority will be given to events that have taken place in previous years

  • Priority is placed on requests for space for special events which are open to the public and which have a recreational, cultural, environmental or community wellness mandate
  • Private functions, commercial functions and/or events that are primarily religious or political in nature may be considered on a case-by-case basis.

  • Applicants are to identify all activities they wish to include as part of their event
  • As the event develops and planned activities change, the applicant must keep their liaison informed of these changes
  • All activities of an event are subject to prior approval before the event
  • Each space may have amenities or be located within a community that makes it distinct from other spaces and will determine what activities are appropriate or inappropriate
  •  Activities that may be approved in one site may not be appropriate in another
  • Condition of the space and availability of staff may be factors 
  • Event activities will determine many of the conditions that will be put into place and which other regulating bodies will be contacted
  • Most restrictions that will be put into place are to ensure public safety and preservation of the space setting
  •  Activities not generally permitted include those which: 
    • May cause significant damage to the space or environment 
    • Are against bylaw and/or law 
    • Are not compatible with natural open space
    • Involve risk to individuals or the City of Lethbridge

  • Depending upon the complexity of the event approvals can take a minimum of 2 weeks
  • For major events the planning process can take several months for all parties involved
  • Ensure you allow enough time when submitting your application form

  • Most liquor permits can be obtained through any liquor store or online with the Alberta Gaming, Liquor and Cannabis Agency
  • Special event liquor permits (beer gardens) are obtained from the Alberta Gaming, Liquor and Cannabis Agency

  • Events that happened previously take priority for date and location
  • If both events are new a meeting will be set up with all parties involved to try to accommodate all needs
  • At this time only one event will be approved in a specific location at the same date/time

  • Special event onsite staff 403-315-4215 or 403-393-7983

Contact Us

City Hall
910 4 Avenue South
Lethbridge, AB T1J 0P6

Phone: 311
or 403-320-3111 (if outside of Lethbridge)


This website uses cookies to enhance usability and provide you with a more personal experience. By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies as explained in our Privacy Policy.