Popson Park is located in the southern most part of the west side of Lethbridge. It originated as part of the Urban Park Project funded by the Provincial Government in the mid 1980's.
This river valley park is home to many great activities and opportunities including the Lethbridge Astronomy Society and Oldman River Observatory, an off leash dog area, picnic area, boat launch and beach area. The Oldman River forms the southeast boundary and provides excellent access for fishing. Many boaters and floaters will launch from this area in the warmer months (please use caution when using the river for recreation: the weir is downstream from Popson Park, users must portage around it).
Popson Park Off Leash Area
The off leash area of Popson Park is designated around the limestone trails between the boat launch parking lot and the picnic shelter. Please be aware of the proximity of the road. This exciting off leash area provides multiple access points to the river for pups to take a dip.
Dog waste bags, garbage bins and benches are located throughout the park for convenience.
There are a few rules that are to be adhered to while using the off leash area:
- Dog owners may exercise their dogs without a leash in the area shown on the map.
- To avoid conflicts with other users, keep your dog on a leash until you are in the designated area.
- If you exercise your dog without a leash, you must be in control of your dog at all times.
- You are required to clean up after your dogs at all times.
- Be respectful of other users, be safe and have fun!
Popson Park Picnic Shelter
A covered picnic shelter is located on the south end of the park and is bookable for social events (the picnic site must be pre-booked through Recreation & Culture).
- Walking trails
- Off leash dog area
- Picnic shelter
- Picnic tables
- Oldman River Observatory
Entrance from 10th Street West